The official theme for Earth Day 2019 is, “Protect Our Species”. It is a day to reflect on where we are environmentally, how our planet is doing and how we can help improve our environment for generations to come. “All living things have an intrinsic value, and each plays a unique role in the complex web of life. We must work together to protect endangered and threatened species: bees, coral reefs, elephants, giraffes, insects, whales and more.”
Below are tips and ideas on how you can make a difference on Earth Day, and every day throughout the year. These small acts will help reduce your carbon footprint and lessen your impact on the environment.
Earth Day Tips & Ideas
- Properly dispose of all fats, oils and grease after cooking a meal.
- Join a local park or beach clean-up.
- Use environmentally-friendly, non-toxic cleaning products.
- Plant a tree.
- Carpool, ride your bike, use public transportation or drive an electric or hybrid car.
- Stop using disposable plastics, especially single-use plastics like bottles, bags and straws.
- Recycle paper, plastic and glass.
- Change your paper bills to online billing. You’ll be saving trees and the fuel it takes to deliver your bills by truck.
- Read documents online instead of printing them.
- When you need to use paper, make sure it’s 100% post-consumer recycled paper.
- Use reusable bottles for water, and reusable mugs for coffee.
- Bring reusable bags when you shop.
- Compost kitchen scraps for use in your garden — turning waste into fertilizer.
- Fix leaky faucets and shower-heads.
- Turn off lights when you leave a room.
- Use energy-efficient appliances and electronics.
Looking for additional ideas on how you can help our planet this Earth Day? Head to the “Tips” area of the Earth Day Network website.
Please join our mission to protect the environment. Each time you opt for a GreaseHero, instead of rinsing cooking oil and grease down the drain, you are helping protect our clean water supplies and oceans.
Living a sustainable lifestyle is easier than you might think. Simple changes to your daily routine can have profound impacts on the environment. There is no “Planet B”, so let’s work together to protect our species and environment.
Let us know how you plan on celebrating Earth Day in the comment area below.
Join Our Mission to save the environment and properly dispose of Fats, Oils, and Grease.